A metric is a measured property of a system.
Examples of a metric include:
- the response time of an application
- the utilization of a CPU
- the amount of time spent in garbage collection
- the cost of a cloud service
Metrics are used to both specify the optimization goal and constraints (e.g. minimize the heap size while keeping response time < 1000 and error rate <= 10% of a baseline value), and to assess the behavior of the system with respect to each specific configuration applied.
A metric is described by the following properties:
- a name that uniquely identifies the metric
- a description that clarifies the semantics of the metric
- a unit that defines the unit of measurement used by the metric
Metrics are displayed in the Akamas UI when drilling down to each system component.
and are represented in metric charts for each specific optimization study